Saturday, November 24, 2012

Torres drop in form Liverpool's fault?


When Fernando Torres joined Chelsea in the winter transfer window of the 2010-2011 season, he wasn’t at his best form. Many thought it was due to his problems at Liverpool. However, after reading an article about Torres’ time at Chelsea and the days before his transfer, I changed my opinion about him. The article can be found here: http://en-prosa.tumblr.com/post/36326276870/today-i-gathered-some-facts-about-fernandos I suggest you read this as it is very important for understanding this article.

Many of us thought that the reason in Fernando Torres’ sudden drop in form was due to him changing teams and not being able to adapt to Chelsea’s style of play. I believed that too, but it was actually Liverpool’s medical team failure to properly treat Torres of his knee injury and lying to him about his time of recovery in the hope that he would play more games, even though his injury had not fully healed. Spain call up to the World Cup meant he had to add more pressure on himself to become fully fit for the tournament. Had the Liverpool medical team gave him the full truth about the extent of his injury; he would have recovered fully and possibly return to his former self. That did not happen, instead he was added more pressure on his knee and thus made the injury worse when get got injured again in the final against the Netherlands.

Fast forward another 6 months, where Torres’ problems at Liverpool became public and so was Chelsea’s interest in him. They finally agreed on a transfer on January 31st 2011, and Liverpool did not inform Chelsea of his knee problems. Something I think they chose to do to be able to sell him. As the transfer was done a few minutes before the end of the transfer; Chelsea did not have enough time to properly conduct a medical, meaning it basically was a routine checkup. Chelsea signed Torres not knowing the severity of his knee problems. Obviously, Chelsea discovered that later and worked with Torres hoping to completely eradicate his injury. But an injury of that severity would be nearly impossible to shake off. In a recent interview with Rafa Benitez, Ben Jacobs said that Fernando’s knee injury is degenerative and has been there since his time at Liverpool..


Chelsea are also at fault here; being so desperate for Fernando’s signature, they overlooked the fact that a proper medical could show the severity of his knee problem. Had they done that, Fernando Torres would not have been a Chelsea player and Chelsea would be 50 million pounds richer. The utter unprofessionalism of the Chelsea board of rushing into the Torres transfer is only a glimpse of how bad this club is run, signing players simply because the owner wants him. The sacking of Di Matteo, Ancelotti and the way Florent Malouda, Nicolas Anelka and how they are treating Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole in their contract talks is disgraceful. It seems Ron Gourlay and co. are only interested in being on Roman Abrahmovic’s good side. They care more about pleasing Roman that about the fans..

I have however, changed my mind about Fernando Torres. In the past couple of weeks I have been blaming him and criticizing him in nearly every Chelsea match. I have now come to the conclusion that it is not actually Torres miraculously becoming a bad player; it is rather the result of poor and dishonest treatment by the Liverpool medical team. The price tag didn’t help much as well..

This is totally not me saying that what was said is 100% true. This all could have been a coincidence, but I felt it was important to point it out. Tumblr is obviously not a reliable source, but after checking the links that were cited, it got me thinking that this might actually have happened. Torres did say that there things that happened at Liverpool that the media don’t know about, and played a huge factor in him wanting to leave..

Leave a comment about if your opinion about Torres has changed, or if it hasn’t. Your feedback would be appreciated.

John Marston


26 comments:

  1. For those who're wondering about the credibility of these seemingly wild claims - it's all true. Duncan Castles is a reputed journalist who was named as a source on EA forums, here's what he told me on Twitter when I asked him about it:

    https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/272276369541566465

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very eye-opening article, and I don't think I'll be able to insult Torres again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was doing some research on this matter myself, and I'm happy that finally some glimpses of the truth are coming out.
    It all started with Benitez' words on Torres' injury. It made me recall all the times in which Torres talked about being incredibly disappointed with how he was treated by the Liverpool staff, how they lied to him. He has never wanted to tell why, but you could understand that there was something big behind his transfer: you could see that he wasn't happy in the last few months he played there.
    On my part, I remember now things that I heard or read in the past, which now add even more sense to the truths written in your article: for example, the match Liverpool-Real Madrid, that I watched. The commentators of the match, in my country, said that Torres was deemed match fit, but during the second half, they said that he had to have a painkilling injection during half time because he was in pain. That struck me as strange, I remember thinking: why did they make him play, then? Wasn't he fit?? Later I read on Torres' book, that same evening he had to cut part of his boot because his ankle was swollen and the boot had become too tight on it. All of this so that he could play. Don't misunderstand me, he wanted to play too. He wasn't forced to play, that's not what I'm saying, but as you stressed in your article, he was lied to about his recovery, and they continued doing so for the rest of that season.

    The reason why I am convinced that what you wrote in the article (and the girl wrote on tumblr), is that the journalists who wrote the articles first, wrote them in different periods from 2011 to now, and because they are all reliable journalists. Above all, Balagué is a professional journalist who has always been impartial and when everyone was blaming Torres and making jokes about him, he was always alluding to some truth that people didn't know about the Torresgate. I follow him on Twitter, and he has always said that Torres' problem is not only a confidence one.
    I'm not surprised that shit newspapers such as the Daily Mail or The Sun didn't write anything on this, as they sold their copies criticising and laughing at every Torres' attempt to take hold of his career at Chelsea. On this matter, many foreign newspapers and sources (especially Spanish ones) are more clear and less biased.

    I think many people were unfair to Torres. I saw so much hate on him in the last few months, that it made me hope he would leave soon, for his own good. Mind you, I'm not talking about criticism, I'm talking about proper abuse, such as people wishing him cancer or a serious injury.

    I want to thank you for this article because people need to know the truth, and I'm going to share it everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking the time to read it and write such an informative comment. Thanks, mate

    ReplyDelete
  5. There isn't really much to say about it because what's done is done. That's in the past. Nothing any of us say will change anything. What we need to do now is hope that Benitez gets Torres back on form and support both of them since they are a part of our beloved club. I have faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This terrible acts by Liverpool medical staff,u do not make use of somebidy to the detriment of his career.I am a fan of Torres and really feel for him, hope he will regain his for under Benitez.Wishing u well Torres.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great discovery John. Albeit the injury it is important for us to be clear on this with a NOW factor. that is what is his injury condition as of now. it has been about 22months since his move to chelsea and and ought to have gotten over this injury .

    If the injury is gone i think only HE ,torres can help himself get over this injury problems. otherwise he puts his career in jeorpardy.

    summarily:
    Torres owns the aces to his quick recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see how things go under Benitez. He was the one who brought the lad to England and he knows him really well. In my opinion, we'll have to wait three or four matches before we can truly see the extent of the problem as of today.

      Delete
    2. Painfully, he might be the one to send him back. It looks like Liverpool are only interested in history and saw no future for Torres. Too bad they have ruined his chances of contributing to a very beautiful project at Chelsea. Too bad they would force him to walk alone.

      Delete
  8. the fact remains that he is a mediocre player now. If Chelsea want to win something they should not have mediocre players in the starting 11.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I'm the girl wrote the original post on Tumblr, and I appreciate that you linked to it here (some other people haven't and have claimed the post as theirs, unfortunately), and I'm glad this information is making the rounds again as I feel that it's very important to understand Torres' current situation. I feel like I have to clear up that from what I understand, he's not injured right now per se, he's just suffering the consequences from a badly neglected injury and will probably do so for the rest of his career because he was lied to and misinformed for over a year about his actually very delicate condition (and Benitez was too, but he sacked the medical staff responsible when he found out). There are other facts I didn't include in the original post because I didn't have the sources within my reach to back them up, but some of them make this whole thing more clear. I ended up only writing about the things I actually had (good, legitimate) sources of, but I think it was enough to make my point.

    Again, thank you for sharing this xx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting! But you should know that me sharing this doesn't necessarily mean that Torres isn't a flop, because in all honesty, he is. I still think he should have exerted more effort while at Chelsea.

      Delete
    2. I understand. You're entitled to your own opinion John, we all are. My intention when I wrote the post was simply to shed some light on certain aspects of Torres' career (while at Liverpool specially) that could very well explain his current situation better.

      Delete
  10. I still believe in El-Nino......Keep the faith....
    KTBFFH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Torres supporter, shame on me!November 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

    John, why are you so worried that people might think you support Torres? Lol. You could make yourself a t-shirt with "Torres is a flop!" on it, and wear it proudly, so that nobody could mistake you for a Torres fan (which seems like something shameful, as you put it).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a question. All this is great. But Why is Torres still playing if he has an injury? And if he's still injured then chelsea is doing additional harm to the injury. And if he has been rehabilitated then why is he playing the way he is? There was no time line attached to the discovery by the chelsea staff...and certainly there hasn't been anything in the behavior of the club to suggest that he all this is true.
    I have to wonder because if its all true then Liverpool committed a major bit of fraud here. And Chelsea has no reason to hide the fact that they had been duped. Unless the board figures its better to hide the fact that the club didn't really screen the player than expose the enormity of Liverpool's duplicity.
    I'm really havingt rouble with the lack of hard facts here...just alot of accusations with absolutely no backup at all!
    The most recent treatment of DiMatteo makes me embarrassed to be a ChelseaFc fan. But I'm more outraged by what Roman and the board are doing to the team. I want the facts! Not spurious suggestions and wild stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are sources. Check the link i posted in the article, and in it you will find sources. Duncan Castles, Guilemme, Guilleme Balague all reported on it 2 years ago.

      Delete
    2. Also, Chelsea cannot blame Liverpool. We should have done a complete medical to Torres, it's our fault we decided to carry on the deal without doing it. You can't really accuse Liverpool of fraud against Chelsea.

      Rafa Benitez said that Torres is playing with an injury, when he explained to the journalist why he was underperforming in the last matches.
      Also.. "Degenerative injury", you know? It's not going to heal. He'll get better and have relapses.

      Delete
  13. I know its not related but Here is an article of players I wanna see at Chelsea
    http://nanthini96.wordpress.com/2012/11/25/players-i-want-to-see-at-chelsea/

    ReplyDelete
  14. ever since day 1 of him joining Chelsea, rain or shine, off form or in top form, i'll never believe that Torres will become a failure. :) his case is completely different from Shevchenko's. it has clearly been the injury which affects his performance. Torres has been playing too cautiously because he worries that his injury might worsen. now, the only thing we can hope for is Benitez bringing Torres to his old self with full of confidence. KTBFFH

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read this article with mouth wide opened!!!! I have detested Torres so strongly that I wished he was sold from Chelsea. I hated his lack of 'bite'--I mean his fighting spirit in front of goals--but now your article seems to give me some clarification. I had wondered often:' What happened to Torres; why such sudden flop in form?'. Now, feel for him. What an injustice!!! People can do any thing because of money?! Even, grounding one's carrier?!?!!?!!? With Benitez, let's see what happens. For now I dont think Torres is still injured; at least Chelsea medical has not reported that. He should be able to get over his past handling and begin to prove his mettle. Go, Torres...Score!!!!!!!!!Thank you for the information!!
    -Okomaje writes, Accra, Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Then the Chelsea board should be sacked. They re the ones running us down. Sacking or supporting the sack of Carlo, allowing Our Drog to go, refusing him two yrs contract, the treatments of the players that brought us glory and fame. Drog, Anelka, Malouda, Kalou, Cole and Lamps. These shows they re only interested on the money and favour they get from Roman. Sack them. Get people that loves your club, our club, Chelsea. from Arthur Osadebe

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is very sad truth. Fernando Torres by summer of 2008 was one of the best striker in the world. Then Liverpool did all this to him and caused his career to flatter at least for a moment. What they did there was very uncharacteristically stupid thing filled with jealousy they have on Chelsea. I am losing the respect that i had towards Liverpool. VERY EMBARRASSING!
    Torres, we will always support you. Its just that you went to a wrong team after you left Athletico.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh boy. this explains why they (Liverpool) waited for the last day of the January transfer window to let him switch to Chelsea, they were sure he wld probably fail in the medical tests

    ReplyDelete
  19. I Feel so sorry for him. I always supported him and I always knew it was wrong to blame him for his form. It's not his fault. It naver has been. I am sure that if he could he would play weel, if he doesn't it's because he can't. It's very sad. I still believe him and pray for him. God bless you Torres.

    ReplyDelete