Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Should Maicon's "Snub" Really Bother Chelsea?

Maicon: Is His "Snub" Worth Worrying About? 
Recently, various tabloids were running a story that had the headline "Maicon Snubbed Chelsea For City". Admittedly I was a little surprised at the headlines. I knew Chelsea had shown some interest in signing Maicon during the summer & that a deal wasn't reached, but I never knew that Maicon "snubbed" Chelsea to join City. When I opened the link & read the whole story, I was... well, let's just say I was surprised.



Maicon's agent said, "He chose Manchester City after rather a long evaluation process.

All the top clubs who needed someone in that role came looking for Maicon, from Real Madrid via Jose Mourinho to PSG, Chelsea and others." (Source: Sky Sports)

His agent clearly stated that he turned down interest from Chelsea, PSG & Real Madrid to join City. So why the emphasis was laid on "snubbed Chelsea" is beyond me. I'd call it lazy journalism, but I hardly think that's the case. Anyway, back to the question in hand: should we be bothered that Maicon didn't join Chelsea? The answer is no.

Yes, Maicon was one of the best right-backs in the world a few years ago, but it's fair to say his best days are behind him. He's no longer the force he once was & while class is indeed permanent, I never really understood why Chelsea were interested in him in the first place. All of Chelsea's summer recruits were young players & I saw no reason to break that trend, especially considering the fact that the player in question was Maicon. One of his major shortcomings is that he can be a bit suspect defensively, even though he is brilliant on the attack. I still haven't forgotten how Gareth Bale absolutely destroyed him when Spurs played Inter in the Champions League! And Gareth Bale isn't even the best that the Premier League has to offer. It will be interesting to see how Maicon does against the likes of Hazard, Mata, Valencia, Nani etc. Also, the days when Chelsea had to pay large sums of money to buy established players are long gone. Recruiting promising  youngsters is the way forward & I'm perfectly happy with the signing of Cesar Azpilicueta. Let's not forget that we have young Todd Kane coming through as well.

So I'm not at all sad at the fact that Maicon "snubbed" Chelsea. And I wish him all the best at Manchester City.

Shayne Dias



2 comments:

  1. No not at all. They should be worried about Hazard,Mata and Oscar finding rythem in the months to come. Their flair will absolutely destroy them once they can fully play together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would really be hard to believe considering the fact that Chelsea had concluded the deal for Azpilic ueta before he was signed. Don't worry Maicon, your ego is intact. Chelsea just don't offer long contracts to ageing players and pay very high for potentially declining performances and even our beloved and proven Cole has to sweat it out on the available.

    ReplyDelete